Bulemeezi County was at one time part of Kyaddondo County. King Mawanda (1740 – 1760) divided it off from Kyaddondo, and made it a separate district of the first rank, because its chief, Mwogozi, was a wealthy man, and had built one of the largest houses in the royal enclosure, which he called ‘Muzibu’. The task of building the King’s large houses was carried out only by District Chiefs; and as Mwogozi had been promoted to do this work, the King also made his district independent and promoted him to the rank of being one of the principal chiefs and changed his title to that of “Kangawo.” The people of this county were noted for their linguistic ability, in the old days, the peasants would visit the chiefs and use all sorts of humorous phrases, thus pleasing them greatly. Feasts were held in their honour and gifts were also presented
to them. In some cases small children were versed in joke-telling and joined in the conversation.

The county however was not wealthy and in fact most of its people were poor. Due to the fact that the tree from which bark cloth is derived had dried up, Bulemeezi ported bark cloth from Busiro and Mawokota. There were two sections, Busubika and Matemebe, which were prosperous in cattle raising, but for the most part, the cattle perished due to some diseases that were not native to the area. Until King Kamanya’s reign, a large portion of the county belonged to Bunyoro, the part known as Luweero being the latest portion to be subjugated. Bulemeezi has one large river that flows right through the entire county called Lugogo. The two capitals, at Buzinde and Kasaga, founded by Kintu, were the only ones ever established here.